Translate

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Don't say goodbye




A popular soap opera states, likes sands in an hourglass these are the days of our lives. Time goes by, and everything changes, nothing ever stays the same for long. One day a house is bursting at the seams with the lives and laughter of children, but time stands still for no one, and children don't stay small forever.  Too often that happy bursting home is taken for granted, and those who live inside it don't understand how close they are to losing everything that makes a house a home.



"Since we are all making big announcements, I guess I should make mine." Everyone in the room turned to look at Zachariah, "You've been on my case a lot mom, about figuring out what I'm going to do with my life, now that I'm out of high school, and well I made my decision. I joined the Army, I leave for boot camp next month."



Khalisee gasped, she was still reeling from Mama's news, but to lose her best friend, her brother, she burst into tears. Mama push her aside, "You can't leave in a month, you'll miss the wedding and you are suppose to be one of the groomsmen!"



Zachary looked over at his mother's fiancee and frowned, "No offense Mama, but I'm not exactly thrilled with your choice, but then you already know that, so missing the wedding, well that is probably best for everyone here!"



Mama stormed out of the living room, trailing Byron with her. One by one the other siblings went up to their room, but Khalisee didn't move, just stood there crying. Zachary walked over to where Khalisee stood sniffling back her tears, and quietly whispered "Hey, it's just six weeks, and then I'll be back for a visit, I promised to take care of you Pita and I will, I just can't do it being a bum!" He hugged her and she smiled up at him, "You know if Mama ever figures out why you call me Pita she would die of shock!"



 They both chuckled at their own little secret. Zachary had begun calling her Pita when she was just six years old, she would follow him around everywhere, and annoy him with questions. Pita was short for Pain in the ass, and while at first he said it to try to get her to stop, after Papa was sent away, it became his term of endearment for her, his way of cheering her up when she was feeling lost and alone.



He walked over to her, pulling her into his arms for a bear hug, "Don't worry so much Pita, you don't want to go to any stuffy old boarding school anyways, and you don't even like Byron, so who care if you stand up there, at least you don't have to act all happy and mushy for them! When I get back from boot camp I promise we will do lots of things, just hang in there while I'm gone, and write me, everyday! I promise I'll do the same! I have to do this, please understand, this way, as soon as you are seventeen, you can come live with me and I'll have a way to take care of you! It's going to be OK, just a little while longer and we can go find our own happiness away from this madness!"

No comments:

Post a Comment